Two major actions associated with the Atlanta Campaign took place on and around the approximately 200-acre track of land now owned by Henry County and formerly part of the old Nash Farm: Minty’s cavalry saber charge during Kilpatrick’s Raid, one of the most dramatic moments of the campaign and often cited as one of the largest cavalry saber charges of the war and certainly of the Atlanta Campaign, and one of the few that was somewhat successful; and the infantry Battle of Lovejoy, a rather hotly fought contest involving the bulk of the two armies across well-fortified lines, which is overshadowed in the historical literature by the previous day’s action at Jonesboro. Both of these engagements were significant events in the last weeks of General William T. Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign, and the Battle of Lovejoy represented the last battle of that campaign, ending over four months of nearly continuous marching and fighting.
Along these major actions, on several other occasions in August and September 1864, troops from both sides moved through the area in force, and were engaged in skirmishing, scouting, and foraging. After Sherman’s withdrawal, Stephen D. Lee’s Corps of Confederate soldiers camped on and around Nash farm for approximately two weeks while Sherman and Confederate John B. Hood prepared for the next campaign.